Bechterew’s disease or the ankylosing spondylitis is an inflammatory disease of the vertebrates and other joints with mobility impairments and gradual coalescence and immobilization of joints (ankylosis).
Bechterew’s disease is one of the widespread diseases of the musculoskeletal system. The most commonly Bechterew’s disease affects the spine (intervertebral joints).
Along with the joint tissues inflammatory process Bechterew’s disease affects the tendons, ligaments, synovial membrane of joints and bony tissue.
Thus, Bechterew’s disease is a systemic disease that requires a complex approach to the treatment.
The main tasks of the treatment of Bechterew’s disease
The main directions of the treatment of Bechterew’s disease:
- elimination of muscle spasms;
- improvement of blood circulation and nutrition of muscle tissue;
- elimination of inflammatory process;
- stimulation of regeneration of articular tissues;
- improvement of physical activity;
- improvement of the respiratory system;
- elimination of existing chronic infectious diseases;
- rebalancing the immune system.
At the diagnosis of Bechterew’s disease, treatment includes application of complex methods of reflexotherapy and physiotherapy.
In all cases of of Bechterew’s disease treatment is appointed individually and in addition to the basic methods may also include other procedures.
The main results of the treatment of Bechterew’s disease
- slowing the progression of the disease;
- reduction or elimination of existing deformations and the prevention of new deformations;
- increasing muscle strength and muscle tone;
- elimination of pain in the muscles;
- improvement of mobility of the spine and joints;
- improvement of breathing, increasing the working volume of of the lungs;
- general recovery of the organism;
- increasing physical performance and quality of life.
The symptoms of Bechterew’s disease
Generally, Bechterew’s disease arises in young men (up to 30 years). It is important to pay attention to the first symptoms of the disease, to begin treatment and prevent complications in time.
Early symptoms of Bechterew’s disease, which should be paid attention to:
stiffness in the lower back;
low back pain extending to buttocks and legs, arising from or aggravated in predawn hours;
stiffness and pain in the spine (thoracic spine);
pain in the calcaneal bones.
At the diagnosis of Bechterew’s disease symptoms depend on the localization of inflammatory process.
The symptoms of Bechterew’s disease in lesions of vertebral joints: pain and stiffness in the spine, progressive stoop up to the development of resistant curvature of the spine (kyphosis), pain and strain of the back muscles, limited mobility of the spine.
The symptoms of Bechterew’s disease with lesions of limb joints: pain and stiffness in the joints (coxofemoral, brachial, ulnar, talocrural, knee), the most intensive in the pre-dawn and morning hours, inflammation and swelling of the small joints (rare).
At the inflammation of joints of the sacrum Bechterew’s disease causes pain, felt deep in the buttocks.
Possible concomitant symptoms of Bechterew’s disease: abnormal heart rhythm, inflammation of the heart muscle (myocarditis), inflammation of the eyes,kidney damage and kidney failure.
Treatment of Bechterew’s disease
Timely initiation of treatment of Bechterew’s disease is important not only to eliminate the symptoms, but also to prevent complications of the disease, which include:
- symphysis and immobilization of joints (ankylosis);
- lesion of heart and coronary arteries;
- the development of renal failure on the phone of amyloidosis;
- lung diseases, tuberculosis.
The main task of the treatment of Bechterew’s disease – improvement of mobility of back muscles, decrease of joint stiffness, increased movement activity.
The effectiveness of the treatment of Bechterew’s disease with methods of reflexotherapy and physiotherapy is significantly increased on the background of physical exercises. Such treatment is assigned individually, depending on the nature of the disease, its stage of development, presence of complications, and specific features of organism.